Friday, June 12, 2009

Blog #1: My First Week as a College Student

Summer is a time to relax, a time to hang out with friends. Most people don't consider spending most of the summer in a classroom, but Summer Scholars is different. Sure, you have to get up a little earlier than usual, but hey, you had to do it for high school. Why not wake up a few extra hours early for a day's worth of fun and learning. I'm not going to sit here and lecture you guys about getting up early when I don't like doing it myself. I'm more of a night person. If it can't be done at a reasonable hour, then most likely, I'm not going for it. {lol} But Summer Scholars is so worth it.

One thing that I have noticed about this experience is that college students have more freedom. Independence is a major plus, especially since we don't get it at home. Another thing that I have noticed is that college is somewhat difficult. Always build a study group and stay on track. If you manage your time wisely and keep up with your homework, then you're good to go. Advice like that works especially for the class that I'm taking, which is Philosophy.

My first impression of Philosophy was that it was going to be a course where we discussed our opinions on certain topics, but man was I wrong. This class changes your way of thinking completely. It makes you think in ways that you haven't before. I guess that's why I enjoy it so much. Even with difficult theories and philosophical teachings that sound like a foreign language, I still find the subject interesting. Not only is the class laid-back, but the teacher is as well. Mr. Decker is awesome! He's not afraid to think outside the box and say what's on his mind. It's always good to feel comfortable with your professor and feel like you can go to him/her for anything.

Well...it's about time to wrap this week's blog up.
So until next time...Catch ya later.

No comments:

Post a Comment